At Home on Hill Haven

Musings, ramblings, and pontifications on motherhood, unschooling, farming, sustainability, spirit, and life in general...

Name:
Location: northwest Georgia, United States

I'm a living-working-breathing mom, writing, mothering, teaching, and soul-searching from our home in northwest Georgia. We are whole-life unschoolers, which basically means our kids actually have a say in what happens to them (it actually means infinitely more than that, but's it's a starting point for discussion). We are also hardcore environmentalists, anti-industrialists, trying to escape from our dependence on petroleum, manufactured products and other non-sustainable practices. We homebirth, homeschool, and homestead, and try to make sense of it all, in a constant whirlwind of chaos.

Sunday, April 27, 2008

Must. Remain. Sane.

Just in case anyone was wondering, it takes a ten-month-old under five minutes to completely empty 50+ CD's from a shelving unit. But they're so shiny!

The thing about babies is that they are so darned cute when they are in the midst of total destruction. Five-year-olds, not so much. Today we instigated a pay-per-offense regime in an effort to curb the few supremely irritating habits Galen has that are constantly occurring. How very NOT unschooly of us, you might say. And verily would I reply, you're darn tootin' it ain't, and it's working so far, and thank God because otherwise I was soon to have to call DFACS on myself. (Not really, but I have been well beyond perturbed for way too long.) It may be argued with great validity that I need to work on my issues behind having such a short fuse; it may be argued that medication for me would be better than violating the unschooling principles for him, breasfeeding baby notwithstanding. But, I have decided and therefore decreed, that unschooling in this house does not mean that I am a doormat to my child, however his age limits his ability to reason and remember, and so there must be a way to facilitate his process of learning how to get along with others without driving them insane. In fairness, everyone in the house has to pay everyone else, so both I and Brad have lost our share of quarters today too. It seems so far to be calling the appropriate level of focus to the issues (such as "Stop hitting me when I say stop") without adding too much drama. We'll see.

In other news, the new clothes dryer arrived yesterday. Woot! Now I have to go pick up some sack-crete so Brad can install it. (No, I'm not going to do it myself.) Of course, it's rainy. How utterly predictable.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

12:10 PM  
Blogger J.S. said...

yer welcome :)

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home