At Home on Hill Haven

Musings, ramblings, and pontifications on motherhood, unschooling, farming, sustainability, spirit, and life in general...

Name:
Location: northwest Georgia, United States

I'm a living-working-breathing mom, writing, mothering, teaching, and soul-searching from our home in northwest Georgia. We are whole-life unschoolers, which basically means our kids actually have a say in what happens to them (it actually means infinitely more than that, but's it's a starting point for discussion). We are also hardcore environmentalists, anti-industrialists, trying to escape from our dependence on petroleum, manufactured products and other non-sustainable practices. We homebirth, homeschool, and homestead, and try to make sense of it all, in a constant whirlwind of chaos.

Monday, August 11, 2008

And Another!

I knew we had an escapee from the butterfly cage, but had assumed it had died somewhere in the playroom, since I didn't find it on any of the plants. Not so! It made its cocoon in a very safe place, turns out-- on the back of an upright board that luckily didn't get disturbed for the duration of its metamorphosis. I found this one, even earlier post-hatch than the first, on the next day after the first one hatched:

I released this one outside just like the other. It amazes me how trusting they both were when neither could yet fly, climbing right onto my finger with no hesitation. I could be intending to eat it! Perhaps it knows somehow that I won't?

I also learned, after this one, that a precise amount of time after hatching and before taking first flight, butterflies must always pee. And these, at least, have white pee, which they spray in an arc with quite a bit of force for such a wee thing. Now I may add to my abundant list of experiences that I have been urinated upon by a butterfly, twice. Hm, should I add this to my resume?

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home