At Home on Hill Haven

Musings, ramblings, and pontifications on motherhood, unschooling, farming, sustainability, spirit, and life in general...

Name:
Location: northwest Georgia, United States

I'm a living-working-breathing mom, writing, mothering, teaching, and soul-searching from our home in northwest Georgia. We are whole-life unschoolers, which basically means our kids actually have a say in what happens to them (it actually means infinitely more than that, but's it's a starting point for discussion). We are also hardcore environmentalists, anti-industrialists, trying to escape from our dependence on petroleum, manufactured products and other non-sustainable practices. We homebirth, homeschool, and homestead, and try to make sense of it all, in a constant whirlwind of chaos.

Saturday, July 29, 2006

Weekend in Savannah




It has taken two weeks to recover from a three-day "vacation." I am seriously questioning the meaning of this word. The good news is, it's over, and I'm getting back to at least approximating having my head above water. Now, don't get me wrong, it was a good idea, it's just impossible to not fall irrevocably behind on practically everything by leaving home for a few days. Sheesh.

We (Galen and I) spent a long weekend in Savannah, Georgia, visiting my baby sister Rose (who at 23 is too young to be married and out of college with a job, dammit!) with my mom. After driving down Saturday (five hours, ouch), we spent Sunday morning on the beach at Tybee Island, where this adorable picture was taken...

These signs (it says "Turtle Xing") can be seen all along the road to and from Tybee:

Then we came back into Savannah to Fresh Market to pick up lunch, bags and bags of junk food (read: candy for Galen), and my birthday cake, a cappucino hazelnut cheesecake:

You think it looks decadent! I'm certain it must be illegal in some states.

Just in case that wasn't enough, my sister had made this astounding seafood dish (I have no idea what it was called; it was marinated, it had artichoke hearts and shrimp, it was fabulous) and my mom grilled scallops wrapped in bacon (were they competing for most cholesterol?). Wow.

Galen became very interested in the digital camera on this trip and took quite a few photos, including this one of me in the car:

and this one of his own feet, which I especially like the composition of:

I was really impressed with the quality of many of the pictures he took. Of course, I don't know that he really composed them, but the portraits must have been composed or they wouldn't have worked out so well, I think.

My dad is famous in the family for always buying "el cheapo" this or that, so this gas station photo is for him:

Although I don't see what's so el cheapo about nearly $3 a gallon for diesel fuel. Yikes!

Monday we went shopping on River Street and at the market area in downtown Savannah before beginning the long drive back. A real whirlwind tour!

While I was gone my sister-in-law Charlotte snuck off and had her baby, Graham Carter Swancy. Graham is Galen's first first cousin (he will be getting another later this year, a girl), and my new birthday buddy (born three days before my birthday). He was born with ease and speed at home, and the new momma and baby are doing fabulously. Here he is, just hours after birth, with his Nana Beverly:


Now if I can just get caught up with my writing!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hannah D said...

How cute! Keep up the good work. . . i know its hard being a mother!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Kathryn Hill said...

Hey, gas is $4 a gallon out here in the Kommunist Republik of Kalifornia!

Nice to see a picture of you!

1:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home